Name:
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, United States

Monday, May 15, 2006

Mouse in the house

We've got a mouse in the house. I say "a" mouse because I've only seen one, but I'm sure there are many more lurking in the walls and ceiling. I call our mouse mama mouse because I am sure that it's a female bent on birthing scads of baby mice. She has been getting more and more bold over the last few weeks. I used to only see her at night. Then one evening at around 7 she came out to have a look around. And just last weekend I saw her boucing around in the early afternoon as if she owned the place. Usually I see mama mouse when I'm playing poker. First I see her out of the corner of my eye running across the kitchen floor. Then she sneaks under the poker table, occluding herself from view. Eventually she reappears, often right at my feet. When this happens I don't move a muscle. It's not that I enjoy her company in the house. I don't want rodents shitting all over the place and spreading disease. I've considered trying to stomp her out right then and there. But I don't think it would work, as she is very fast, and she would freak out. I don't want that. I want her to feel right at home so that when I set out some sort of deadly trap she will have no suspicion of foul play. So what does this have to do with poker? Probably not very much, but it does make me wonder. How would other poker players react to a mouse in the house? And more particularly, a mouse at their feet? My poker style tends toward tight passive with marginal hands and extremely aggressive with big hands even with cards to come. I wait for the goods, and then I put down the hammer. This corresponds pretty well with the manner in which I plan to deal with mama mouse. I'm going to wait for the appropriate time, and then bury her. I suspect that your average maniac would just go for the stomp regardless of how the low chance of success. He would just keep on stomping and stomping until he got blisters on his feet. A loose passive player might not do anything. He accepts the bets that are thrown at him by aggressive players and won't raise back without a rock crusher. Thus, he would accept the mouse's company and not try to fight it. A tight passive player would similarly do nothing, but he would be quite upset about the mouse. He would probably have a good idea of how to deal with it, but would not have the confidence in his judgement to follow through. He would let mama mouse go about her merry way. What do you think? Am I tripping? Somebody needs to write a book called The Poker Game of Life. There's already a blog with that title, and for good reason. There are so many parallels between real life situations and poker. Somebody should take the time to elucidate them in text. Hell, I'd buy it.

1 Comments:

Blogger C.L. Russo said...

For your mouse problem: get some rats and let them loose in your house. They'll eat the mice.

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home