Name:
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, United States

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Goals

So lately I've been reading a lot of the Maroon's old posts. If you don't know who I'm talking about and you are into online ring games then get on it. http://www.thepokerchronicles.com/) The main idea from Matt's blog is that most players at Party suck and that if you are making less than $50/hour there you have nothing to brag about. Lol. If I made $50/hour now I would be pretty psyched (and I could do a lot of bragging to my non-poker-playing friends), so clearly I have a lot to shoot for. I started out as a total bonus whore. I never wanted to gamble - I wanted to make money in a risk-free manner. But now my aversion to risk is crippling me. Two years of play have left me with a single $30/60 bankroll. About two thirds of that came from bonuses, and another third from a $10/hr grind at the $50 and $100 NL tables. Note to bonus whores out there: if you are serious about clearing bonuses at the Party skins, NL tables are WAY better than limit tables for the following reasons: 1) the rake starts at $1 at NL and $5 for limit. 2) the rake is 5% for NL and 10% on the first $5 at limit. 3) since you can actually bet people out of the pot at NL, the hands go much more quickly. So lately I've been hitting the $3/6 tables to explore the limit option. Is the competition fishier there? Seems like it would have to be to make more money than at NL, since NL provides more avenues to exploit weak players. Well, from my early experience at limit I have come to the following conclusion: either the players at $3/6 are a WHOLE LOT weaker than at $100 NL or I just don't know how to play NL. I've only played about 20 hours, which is nothing, but I'm making way more than I ever did at NL. It feels good to make more from actual play than from bonuses. So the goal is to start putting in some real hours and see what happens. So far this year I have averaged an hour/day. That's how much poker you get in when your trying to finish your Ph.D. Now that I've graduated I hope to play around 15 hours/week and advance to the next limit after making 100 big bets of the current limit. That's $600 for $3/6, and I'm at around $400 now. If I drop a bunch of cash doing this it won't be a big deal. It won't be life changing money. But if I have the ability to work my way up and make a few hundred/hour at $30/60, that would be life changing, and something to really brag about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home