Name:
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, United States

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Running good

Dang it's been so long since I've posted that I practically forgot I had a blog. I've been busy as all hell trying to write my Ph.D. thesis, and I even got to the point where, gulp, I felt guilty playing poker. Fortunately it's almost over - I turned in my dissertation to all my committee members on Monday, and I defend on Tuesday. What did Alan Shepherd's character say when he got into the space capsule in The Right Stuff? "Please God, don't let me fuck up."

Right now I'm at a microbiology meeting at Cold Spring Harbor on Long Island. So far I've had some amazing luck on both the fishing and the poker fronts. Turns out there's a beach about half a mile from the conference center, and on my first evening of fishing I caught about 20 snapper bluefish, 3 small striped bass (around 2 lb.s each), and a 4 lb. bluefish. All of this was with 6 lb. test line on a small fresh water outfit, and the bluefish put up a sweet fight, jumping from the water multiple times with the courtesy not to severe my gossamer line with his pirana teeth. Last night I went back and nailed at least 10 more stripers on a Blakemore roadrunner turbo tail, which I think was designed for catching crappies. Hey, whatever it takes.

Two nights ago I got a poker game going with the rest of my lab mates. The game was 6 handed, and unfortunately we were not playing for money - just chips. The second hand I got 77 on the cutoff, and wasn't about to let Sheryl, who was likely to have limped under the gun with something like J2 off, outdraw me without paying a hefty price. So I raised it up to 4x the big blind, which seemed like a lot of fake money to these people (most of whom had little if any poker experience), but she called me anyway. Damn. Well, the first card on the flop is the 7 of hearts. Fuck yeah. The next two were the 2 and the 3 of spades. It seems like I never flop sets in home games, so I was pretty pumped about this. Sheryl ended up calling me down to the river with a pair of deuces I think, so I dragged a fat pot.

Next I get AsKh on the button. This girl Lynette limps in front of me and again I make a 4x bb raise. She doesn't like it, but she calls. The flop comes A K 4, making my fucking day yet again. She makes a small bet and I raise her all in. Feeling invincible, I almost said "you ain't gonna like this" but thought that might sound kinda boastfull so I held my tongue. Anyway, she flips over AK too!!! Wow, that really burst my bubble. Not to give up all hope, I looked to the flop for any flush possibilities. Turned out both the K and the 4 on the flop were spades (yeah so I had the ace of spades). I quickly pointed out that running spades would give me the winning hand - no matter that the chances of that were like 1 in 20. Well, I peel off the turn and it's a spade!! Hey now, I'm getting excited. And then the river, a perfect, beautiful jack of spades. Somebody is smiling on me.

And then, the finale. I'm in late position again and I limp with 5s 3s. The flop comes 4s 6s 7c, giving me the ass end of a str8 and a str8 flush draw. A post doc in the lab name Chia led out with a small bet and I came over the top. He didn't hesitate to reraise me so I put his ass all in. He had 7s 4c, eliminating one of my str8 flush outs, but still he was on a 4 outer against me. I have had three str8 flushes in my life. Two royals online with KQs and a K high at 7 card stud in a home game. So I damn well wanted another even if I wasn't going to get any money out of it. The turn was a blankety blank, but the river!!! Oh baby, what a river. Right on cue, right where it was supposed to be after the burn card, the 2 of spades. Fuck yeah. Had we been playing even $10 buy in NL that night I think I would have won around $50. Hope I didn't use up all my luck in that game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home