Name:
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, United States

Sunday, June 12, 2005

Tilt

Yesterday I sat down at 4 $100 NL tables at Pokerroom to start clearing their latest bonus. I had had a great run at Party earlier in the week, bringing in around $800 (including the June bonus) over a few evenings. So I was feeling good, ready to continue the streak. But it was not to be. I had some second best hands that I played foolishly and dropped about $220 in less than an hour. I can't keep my head on straight after losing that much cash, so I logged off and decided that the best way to deal with this psychological distress was to get trashed. And that's exactly what I did - went to a party and hit the keg with a vengeance. I woke up this morning with a grade A hangover and was shocked to find that I was in my roommate's bed. How I wound up in his room I will never know. He was downstairs watching TV - apparently he had just gotten back to the house from his girlfriend's place and hadn't gone upstairs yet (phew!!). I made the painful transition to my room and checked my call history to see all the people I had drunk dialed at 3 AM. It was ugly. So while I probably saved some money by not tilting at the poker tables, I certainly did not save face by going on mad tilt on the social scene. I remember feeling recently that I had come a long way in terms of emotional control while playing poker. Clearly I have a long way to go yet, especially when it comes to not letting my bad sessions affect life away from the felt.

1 Comments:

Blogger Fishboy77 said...

What's more profitable, L or NL? I've been pondering that a lot myself lately. I'm no authority, but I feel that NL is way better as long as you use good game selection. In "Pot-limit and no-limit poker," Bob Ciaffone compares playing limit poker to boxing with handcuffs on. Limits on betting diminishes the ability of skilled players to extract money from fish - you cannot manipulate the odds your opponents are getting my adjusting the size of your bets, making it impossible to force your opponent to make mistakes like calling an all in pot-sized bet with a flush draw. However, limit tables may tend to be fishier because betting limits obviously limit how much fish can lose in a single session. But the $100 NL tables at Party are plenty fishy, and simple strategies like waiting for small sets and destroying the guy with top pair are fairly effective. But I don't know how much the skill level increases with the higher limits. Apparently people like you are having a lot of success at the mid-limit tables, and that makes me want to give it a try. Is it pretty easy to find weak players at those limits or do you have to track them down?

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home