Name:
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, United States

Friday, June 10, 2005

Better than in the movies

If you ever saw the movie Rounders you probably remember the scene where Mike is narrating a hand and flops aces up, makes 9s full on the turn, but loses some $45 Gs to KGB's nut boat when a spade comes on the river. Remember how Teddy reveals his hand at the showdown? "Aces full, Mike" as if he had a complete lock. Fine, fine, he basically did have a lock, but every time I watch that scene a very juvenile and rebellious part of me prays for Mike lift his hole cards and mock Teddy with a lame ass Russian accent "quad 9s, beotch!!!!!" Sure, the likelihood of that is insanely small, but what the fah, it's a movie for god's sake. And just a few days ago this hand went down at a Party poker $100 NL holdem table: I'm in middle position with AA and about 90 bucks. It's folded to me and I raise from $1 to $4. Guy on the button cold calls and the blinds fold. The flop is a dream: A T T. I decide to set a bear trap and check. He checks also. The turn brings a disappointing 4. I bet $2 and he calls. The river is a K, a nice card. Now it's at least possible for him to have a semi-decent hand like a nut str8. So I bet $5 and he goes all in for another $74. Now I'm really excited. I call my buddies over to the table and type into the text box "you ain't gonna like this." That's the closest I can come to feeling like Jules in Pulp Fiction when he gives his Ezekiel 25:17 speech before blowing some hapless dude away. As Jules said, if you heard those words, it meant your ass. Well, I hit the call button, fully expecting the bloated pot to come to me. Clearly the poker gods had something else in store for me that night because the dude showed TT in the hole, leaving me dumbfounded and down a buy in. Now that scene in Rounders is going to be all the more excruciating - I took the bad beat of a life time. Why can't Teddy?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home